Client Login

Law Offices of T. Nicholas Tyszka, L.L.C.

Chicago's Real Estate Law Firm
(312) 488-1250

HOME     |     OUR FIRM    |     ATTORNEYS     |     PRACTICE AREAS     |     LEARN   |     FIRM NEWS     |     CAREERS     |     CONTACT US

HOME: Title Services: Common Questions

Title Services

Title insurance is admittedly very different from other forms of insurance. As such, buyers and sellers often have common questions.

    Why do I need title insurance?
    When you buy a home, or any property for that matter, you expect to enjoy certain benefits from ownership. For example, you expect to be able to occupy and use the property as you wish, to be free from debts or obligations not created or agreed to by you, and to be able to freely sell or pledge your property as security for a loan. Title insurance is designed to cover these rights you bargain for.

    What if I have a problem? Do I have to lose my property to make a claim?
    No. At the mere hint of a claim adverse to your title, you should contact your title insurer or the agent who issued your policy. Title insurance includes coverage for legal expenses which may be necessary to investigate, litigate or settle an adverse claim.

    How much does title insurance cost?
    The cost varies, depending mainly on the value of your property. The important thing to remember is that you only pay once, then the coverage continues in effect for so long as you have an interest in covered property. If you should die, the coverage automatically continues for the benefit of your heirs. If you sell your property, giving warranties of title to your buyer, your coverage continues. Likewise, if a buyer gives you a mortgage to finance a purchase of covered property from you, your coverage continues to protect your security interest in the property. You can click here to see published rate cards from companies in th Chicagoland area.

    If my lender gets title insurance for its mortgage, why do I need a separate policy for myself?
    The lender's policy covers only the amount of its loan, which is usually not the full property value. In the event of an adverse claim, the lender would ordinarily not be concerned unless its loan became non-performing and the claim threatened the lender's ability to foreclose and recover its principal and interest. And, in the event of a claim there is no provision for payment of legal expenses for an uninsured party. When a loan policy is being issued, the small additional expense of an owner's policy is a bargain.

    What is "standard coverage" vs. "extended coverage"?
    Standard coverage handles such risks as:
        • Forgery and impersonation;
        • Lack of competency, capacity or legal authority of a party;
        • Deed not joined in by a necessary party (co-owner, heir, spouse, corporate officer, or business partner);
        • Undisclosed (but recorded) prior mortgage or lien;
        • Undisclosed (but recorded) easement or use restriction;
        • Erroneous or inadequate legal descriptions;
        • Lack of a right of access; and
        • Deed not properly recorded.
    An extended coverage policy may be requested to protect against such additional defects as:
        • Off-record matters, such as claims for adverse possession or prescriptive easement;
        • Deed to land with buildings encroaching on land of another;
        • Incorrect survey;
        • Silent (off-record) liens (such as mechanics' or estate tax liens); and
        • Pre-existing violations of subdivision laws, zoning ordinances or CC&R's.
    Many lenders will require that extended coverage be provided, and many title companies will voluntarily give it. For cash transactions, it is important that your attorney get standard exceptions waived whenever possible.

    Do I need to buy new title insurance if I quit claim a property?
    Maybe. The answer will depend on a number of things, including when the original title policy was issued and what coverage was extended. Other factors include to whom the property is deeded.

For more information on how we can help you with your real
estate-related matter, please call us at: (312) 488-1250.


191 N. Wacker Dr.

Office Location:
191 N. Wacker Dr., Suite 2300
Chicago, Illinois 60606-1633

(312) 488-1250

(312) 488-1251


  Doing Good
  Firm News

  T. Nicholas Tyszka

  What Is Title Insurance?
  Common Questions
  Our Affiliations
  Rate Cards


  Real Estate Transactions
      Short Sales
      Land Trusts
      Self-Directed Real Estate IRAs
      1031 Exchanges
  Real Estate Litigation
      Pre-Closing & Post-Closing
  Property Tax Appeals
  Condominium & Community Associations
  Zoning & Land Use
      Lease Negotiation & Drafting
  Eminent Domain & Condemnation   Construction Law & Mechanic's Liens
  Foreclosure Defense


  Illinois Laws & Chicago Laws
  Frequently Asked Questions
  Forms & Glossary of Terms
  Buying 101 & Selling 101





  Telephone, Fax & E-mail
  Office Location
  Social Media


Site Map  |  Attorney Advertising
Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 2023.
All rights reserved.

Law Offices of T. Nicholas Tyszka, L.L.C.

191 N. Wacker Dr., Suite 2300
Chicago, Illinois 60606-1633
Telephone: (312) 488-1250

FacebookLinked InTwitterGoogleMantaRSS